Economics 350, meets TuTh, 10:30-11:45pm, during Fall 2008, in
Fall 2008 GMU Tentative Syllabus
Instructor: Robin D. Hanson, Asst. Professor, Economics
Office Hours: Officially TuTh 1:15-2:00pm. But he's usually in at 10b Carow Hall. Call ahead (703-993-2326) if you want to be sure.
350 Regional and Urban Economics (3:3:0) Prerequisite: ECON 306 or permission of instructor. Regional development and metropolitan growth, including locational decisions of households and firms, and problems associated with high-density urban economic activity.
Recommended Text: (None are required.)
Arthur O'Sullivan, Urban Economics, McGraw-Hill Irwin, Sixth Edition, 2006, 978-0071244718,
Sample Price $86.
- Class Participation Please contribute to class discussions.
- Quizes Three In-Class Quizes will given. Quizes and the final are open book, open notes.
- Defended Opinions Twice you will turn in a written
defense of your opinions on an urban economics question.
- Game Discussion You have two choices:
- SimCity Play a version of SimCity twice, using two different strategies. Write a discussion of the consequences of that strategy changes. Here are some SimCity versions: free online, open source, 1993, Ninentendo DS, and 2003 version for $15.
- Board Game Play a board game that illustrates ubran economics principles, and then play it again with a rule change you hope makes it more realistic. Write a discussion of the consequences of that rule change. You may play the game with other students, but write a discussion by yourself. Ask me if your game is O.K.
Class Participate 5%, 13% per Quiz and paper, 17% final.
- Quizes: Sept 25, Oct 16, Nov 13.
- Papers: Oct 16, Nov 13, Dec 4.
- Final: 10:30a.m. - 1:15p.m., Dec 11.
|Dates||Text Ch.||Lecture Topic |
|26, 28 Aug ||1,Appendix|| Introduction & Econ Review |
|2,4 Sep || History Review |
|9,11 Sep ||2|| Economies of Agglomoration |
|16,18 Sep ||2,4|| Cities || |
|23,25 Sep ||3,5|| Firm Locations || Quiz Thurs. |
|30 Sep, 2 Oct ||7|| City Land Use Patterns |
|7,9 Oct ||8,9|| Real Cities || |
|14,16 Oct ||No class Tues. || Quiz, Def. Opin. due Thurs., |
|21,23 Oct ||10|| Zoning |
|28,30 Oct ||11,12|| Transportation |
|4,6 Nov ||13,14|| Housing |
|11,13 Nov ||13,14|| Housing ||Quiz, Def. Opin. due Thurs., |
|18,20 Nov ||12|| Poverty and Crime |
|25 Nov, 1 Dec ||15,16|| Government ||2,4 Dec || Review & Slack ||Game Disc. due Thurs.
Defended Opinion Topics
- Should we prefer to subsidize sidewalks or wireless internet?
- Should we make schools private and cars public?