Using the WS-ftp File Transfer Program with your GMU mason account
1. Double-click on the WS-FTP icon. (If you are using a GMU campus computer, look in the Internet Applications on the Windows "Start" menu.)
2.Press the Tab key to Host Name, type mason.gmu.edu
3. Press the Tab key to Host Type, select Automatic detect from the
pull-down menu by clicking on the down arrow.
4. Press the Tab key to User Id, type your username without the gmu.edu extension.
5. Press the Tab key to Password, type in your password. Asterisks will show in place of your password to keep your password hidden.
6. Click on OK.
7. You will get a split screen.
The left side shows files that are on the local PC you are using; the right side (which is blank now) shows files that are in your Mason account in your home directory.
Upload Files From Hard Drive to Mason server
Notice the three circles below the two directory windows which are named ASCII, binary, auto. If you select binary, you can transfer text files, graphic files, spreadsheet files, etc.
1. Highlight the file in the left column that you want to transfer.
2. In the middle of the window, you will see a button with a right arrow on it. Click on the right arrow.
3. The file will now show up on the list on the right (the list of files in your Mason account).
Download Files From Mason server to a Hard Drive
1. Highlight the file in the right column that you want to transfer. If it is in a subdirectory in your
account, click first on the name of the subdirectory in the box above the list of files.
2. In the middle of the window, you will see a button with a left arrow on it. Click on the left arrow .
3. The file will now show up on the list on the left .
Notice you also have options to delete, rename files and make new directories. Highlight the file you want to rename or delete and select the appropriate function. You might want to rename a file as "oldfilename" as a precaution before you delete it.
You can change directories. Click the up arrow at the top of the directory to get to a higher level in your directory structure. You can scroll up and down to the list of directories if you click on the up or down arrow within a director y window.. You can also view selected text if you choose that option
Getting a FREE copy of WS-FTP at http://www.ipswitch.com/downloads/index.html [if you are a student or faculty member].
Choose the version with the .exe extension. Download it into a temporary directory on your computer. Double click on the file and you will be prompted to accept the folder name suggested. After the program installs, just click on the icon to activate the program.
Virginia Montecino | Education and Technology Resources | email@example.com