- Current Research Sponsors
- Office of Naval Research (ONR) through NAVSEA Panama City for syntactic pattern recognition applied to detection of landmines utilizing ground penetrating radars and the detection of snipers before they shoot
- Image Processing
- Syntactic Pattern Recognition
- Thermal, X-ray, SAR, and
visual image processing
- Information Based
- Marine Science and Engineering
- THELMA, Turtle habitat environmental light measurement application. Senior project and paper to be presented at SPIE DSS 2014, Baltimore.
I also have an interest in developing in
situ instrumentation for the monitoring of the health of coral
reefs and determining why long-spined sea urchins (diadema Antillarum) have not
recovered since their massive die off in 1983. More information
on diadema and our repopulation efforts can be found at my marine web
site which includes images from several SCUBA diving water sample
collection trips and NSF cruises.
have collected multiple water samples at Bahamian coral reefs with and
without diadema and these are currently being analyzed for nutrients
and trace metals in order to determine a cause for the slow
recovery of the diadema. This data collection effort will be
integrated and analyzed during a sabbatical approved for Spring 2009.