The answer is given in the answer box below.
Scroll down for an explantion for the answer (given in red).
Be sure to put your name on this quiz. Write the letter corresponding
to the correct answer in the answer box below.
Which one of the following statements is not true concerning residuals?
All of the choices other than [ A ] are true, and I have mentioned these as I discussed residuals in class.
There are no residuals in a correlation study.
- [ A ] In a correlation study, if height and weight are two of the variables, the residuals for height and weight
are formed by taking, for each subject, the difference of the height and weight measurement.
- [ B ] In a one-way ANOVA, the residuals are formed by subtracting from each observation an appropriate estimate
of a distribution mean.
- [ C ] In a one-way ANOVA, the residuals are formed by subtracting from each observation an appropriate sample
- [ D ] In a one-way ANOVA or a two-way ANOVA, the residuals can be used to check on an assumption of homoscedasticity.
- [ E ] In a linear regression study, or with a one- or two-way ANOVA, the residual corresponding to an observation
can be thought of as an estimate of the error term corresponding to that observation, provided that the fitted model
is not inappropriate.